– Leading data analysis and programming efforts to support 11 light and health research projects.
– Manage development of research software to interface with custom wearable sensors.
– Authored and edited 5 technical reports.
– Headed development of prototype wearable wireless sensor.
– Performed photometric analysis of NASA lighting fixture using a spectrometer and imaging goniophotometer.
– Coauthored peer-reviewed journal article.
– Manage two research assistants.
– Mentor three student workers.
– Developed and maintained MATLAB programs for analysis of research data.
– Calibrated research equipment including custom wearable sensors, light goggles, and spectrometers.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT (09/2009 – 01/2011)
– Developed dynamic reporting tools using Crystal Reports.
– Worked with Manufacturing Engineering to integrate additional product lines into SAP ME.
– Served as production software subject matter expert.
TEST ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT (05/2009 – 09/2009)
– Maintained and repaired test equipment for night vision goggle power supplies.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT (06/2008 – 01/2009)
– Engineered enclosures for electronic equipment.
– Tested enclosures for water tightness to IP67 rating.
– Created 3D CAD models, detailed technical drawings, and physical prototypes.
– Executed finite element analyses for proposed designs.
– Enhanced product genealogy, in-process tracking, and process control.
– Facilitated implementation of manufacturing execution system and direct part marking.
– Documented process instructions for using new systems.
– Optimized workstations to reduce wasted time, movement, and materials.
Bachelor of Science Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering
Rea, M. S., Figueiro, M. G., Jones, G. E. and Glander, K. E. (2014), Daily activity and light exposure levels for five species of lemurs at the duke lemur center. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 153: 68-77. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.22409
MATLAB, STK, Pro/Engineer, NX, Solidworks, Maple, Python
SAP Manufacturing Execution, SAP Crystal Reports, Loftware
Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of AmericaDownload
Hi I’m Geoffrey Jones, graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) with a BS in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering and Senior Research Specialist at RPI’s Lighting Research Center (LRC).
During my time working at the LRC I managed several projects including the planning and development of a new prototype wireless light and activity sensor. Additionally, I oversaw the creation of a more robust user friendly software client for the current model light and activity tracker.
While pursuing my degree at RPI, in aeronautical and mechanical engineering, I participated in a multitude of projects, including two sponsored by NASA and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research. For one project I performed detailed release and orbital analysis of CubeSats from the International Space Station. As part of the second project I lead a group to analyze simulation results to select suitable navigation and sensing components for a nanosatellite.
My contract with the Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute will be ending soon, and I am looking for a full time position that fulfills my passion for engineering and technology. My areas of interest include mechanical and systems engineering with a focus on the aerospace and defense industry.
[...] Mr. Jones demonstrated flexibility, ingenuity, and optimism as we conducted analysis using novel research techniques integrating biomedical, engineering, statistics, and military operational concepts to lead to a product that we are currently attempting to publish in a peer-reviewed biomedical journal.As a US Naval Academy graduate, former Navy submarine line officer qualified as naval nuclear engineer, and currently a US Navy physician, I have had the privilege to work with many highly talented people, both military and civilian. Mr. Jones is among the top 5 percent of people that I have evaluated.[...]
I hired Geoffrey to help implement our new SAP manufacturing systems capabilities. Geoffrey did an outstanding job in all areas that included; selection and evaluation of software, developing functional specifications, master data configuration and programming of custom reports. In addition to his information technology internship, Geoffrey demonstrated a willingness to learn and worked closely with our mechanical, engineering and operations teams. I can definitely recommend Geoffrey for any organization. He is a passionate professional with solid technical and leadership qualities.
I had the pleasure of working alongside Geoffrey during the implementation of SAP ME software. His technical skill and attention to detail were invaluable to the success of the initiative. I would highly recommend Geoffrey and would personally hope for the opportunity to work with him again in the future.